Home History Culture Photographs

Ronald Wiedmann Photograph Collection
Venturia, ND

Venturia, North Dakota

Ron is in the process of compiling histories of the Wiedmann, Bender, and Krause families of Venturia, North Dakota.

The Wiedmann family has been traced to the Württemburg area of Germany. They emigrated to the south Russian village of Grossliebental, where Jakob Wiedmann was born. He married Elisabetha Wagner in 1862 and almost immediately moved to the daughter colony of Annental where their children were born. The family came to the United States in 1890, arriving in Eureka, SD, and eventually homesteaded 1/2 mile west of Venturia. They were Lutherans in Russia, but affiliated with the Venturia Baptist church.

Jakob Wiedmann built the Bazaar in 1901, the first building in Venturia. His sons, Jacob S. and John started the Wiedmann Brothers Hardware Store in Venturia in 1906. After Jacob S. died in 1914, his younger brother, Philip, moved in from his farm to take over the store. Philip's son, Otto - Ron's father - married Leah Krause.

The Martin Bender family originated in the ancestral village of Kassel in the Glueckstal district of south Russia. The family arrived at New York in December 1885 and homesteaded land 2 miles north and 6 miles west of Venturia in the Spring of 1886. The Benders were originally Lutherans in Russia, but were influenced by the independent reformed movement. In the US they were life-long members of the Venturia Baptist Church.

The Krause family originated in Schonlanke, Posen, Prussia, and emigrated to Bessarabia, south Russia. The Samuel Krause family came to the United States from Tarutino, Bessarabia in 1886 and lived near Eureka, SD where they were members of the Eureka Lutheran Church. Samuel Krause and Beata Hiller's son, Gottlieb Krause, homesteaded land southwest of Venturia. Gottlieb married Katharina Dobler, and their son, Jacob, married Frieda Bender, and lived in Zeeland for several years before moving to Lehr with their daughter, Leah.

Ron is retired and lives in Fargo with his wife, Glenna.

His e-mail address is: berean1711@cableone.net

His family web site is: http://myweb.cableone.net/berean1711/index.html

This collection of photographs was scanned from pictures he has received from many different sources.


Images 1-17


Image 1.

Jakob and Elisabetha Wiedmann retirement home in Venturia 1906.

Image 2.

Elisabetha Wiedmann with granddaughters, Martha and Frieda, in front of Venturia home 1919.

Image 3.

1909. The Jacob S. Wiedmann house in Venturia looking SW.

Image 4.

1914. The Jacob S. Wiedmann house in Venturia looking SE. Jacob S. died in 1914, and his widow sold the house to Jacob's brother, Philip, the following year.

Image 5.

1953. The back of the Philip Wiedmann house looking west. After Philip died in 1960, the house was sold and moved to the Spring Creek Hutterite colony at Forbes, ND, where it served as a community center until it was demolished in the 1980's.

Image 6.

1906. The Wiedmann Brothers Hardware store in Venturia. This building was built in 1906 by Jakob Wiedmann and his sons, Jacob S. and John, on the SW corner 2 lots north of the Bazaar, the first building in Venturia, built by Jakob Wiedmann as a general merchandise store.
Jacob S. is in front of the right window, wearing the white hat.
John is in front of the left edge of the doorway wearing a black hat.

Image 7.

1933. Interior of the Wiedmann Brothers Hardware store. Philip Wiedmann is 2nd from right.

Image 8.

1944. View of the back of the Wiedmann Brothers Hardware store taken from the back yard of the Wiedmann house.

Image 9.

1953. The Wiedmann Brothers Hardware store as it looked at the time Philip's wife, Dorothea, died.

Image 10.

1960. The Wiedmann Brothers Hardware store as it looked after Philip's death.

Image 11.

1981. The Wiedmann store was sold and moved diagonally across the street after Philip's death, where it was used as a storage shed. On July 19, 1981, a windstorm blew the building down.

Image 12.

The house John Wiedmann built in Venturia in 1925.

Image 13.

The Kassel Baptist Church, 1 1/2 miles north and 6 miles west of Venturia, 1/2 mile east of the Martin Bender farmstead. The location of events (e.g., weddings) that took place here are often listed as Zeeland. This building was later moved to Zeeland and remodeled as a house.

Image 14.

The original Venturia Baptist Church built in 1913. This building was across the street and one block west of the site of the present church. It was replaced with a newer building in 1949. The 2nd building burned down in 1964, and was replaced with the present building.

Image 15.

1931 Venturia school. Otto Wiedmann, teacher.

Image 16.

1932 Venturia school. Otto Wiedmann, teacher.

Image 17.

Lydia Wiedmann's (m. Ned Nelson) class in Venturia in 1935.

Back: Eddy Hendrickson, John Gunst, Adeline Ernst, Agnes Bender, Lorraine Haas, Reinhold Dockter.
Middle: Adeline Gunst, Martha Rudolf, Clara Hoffman, Esther Delzer, Viola Dockter.
Front: Wilfred Ernst, Irene Gunst, Erna Rudolph, Wohla Mueller, Ella Delzer, Willard Tesky.

 

 

Permission to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested by contacting Michael M. Miller
North Dakota State University Libraries
Germans from Russia Heritage Collection
Libraries
NDSU Dept #2080
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Tel: 701-231-8416
Fax: 701-231-6128
Last Updated:
Director: Michael M. Miller
North Dakota State University Library North Dakota State University North Dakota State University GRHC Home