Home History Culture Photographs

Krause Family - Ronald Wiedmann Photograph Collection

Venturia, North Dakota

Ron is in the process of compiling histories of the Wiedmann, Bender, and Krause families of Venturia, North Dakota.

The Wiedmann family has been traced to the Württemburg area of Germany. They emigrated to the south Russian village of Grossliebental, where Jakob Wiedmann was born. He married Elisabetha Wagner in 1862 and almost immediately moved to the daughter colony of Annental where their children were born. The family came to the United States in 1890, arriving in Eureka, SD, and eventually homesteaded 1/2 mile west of Venturia. They were Lutherans in Russia, but affiliated with the Venturia Baptist church.

Jakob Wiedmann built the Bazaar in 1901, the first building in Venturia. His sons, Jacob S. and John started the Wiedmann Brothers Hardware Store in Venturia in 1906. After Jacob S. died in 1914, his younger brother, Philip, moved in from his farm to take over the store. Philip's son, Otto - Ron's father - married Leah Krause.

The Martin Bender family originated in the ancestral village of Kassel in the Glueckstal district of south Russia. The family arrived at New York in December 1885 and homesteaded land 2 miles north and 6 miles west of Venturia in the Spring of 1886. The Benders were originally Lutherans in Russia, but were influenced by the independent reformed movement. In the US they were life-long members of the Venturia Baptist Church.

The Krause family originated in Schonlanke, Posen, Prussia, and emigrated to Bessarabia, south Russia. The Samuel Krause family came to the United States from Tarutino, Bessarabia in 1886 and lived near Eureka, SD where they were members of the Eureka Lutheran Church. Samuel Krause and Beata Hiller's son, Gottlieb Krause, homesteaded land southwest of Venturia. Gottlieb married Katharina Dobler, and their son, Jacob, married Frieda Bender, and lived in Zeeland for several years before moving to Lehr with their daughter, Leah.

Ron is retired and lives in Fargo with his wife, Glenna.

His e-mail address is: berean1711@cableone.net

His family web site is: http://myweb.cableone.net/berean1711/index.html

This collection of photographs was scanned from pictures he has received from many different sources.


Images 1-10


Image 1.

Jacob Krause and Jacob Schrenk in 1910.

Image 2.

Smokers in front of Gottlieb Krause home near Zeeland in 1911.

Back: Sam Krause, ? (child), ? Strobel, Gottlieb Krause, Jr., ? Strobel.
Front: Jacob Krause (pulling camera string)

Image 3.

Jacob Krause in 1912.

Image 4.

Frieda and Leah standing in back of the Jacob & Frieda (Bender) Krause home in Lehr in 1922.

Image 5.

Four Krause generations taken at Bill Dobler farm in Grandin, ND about 1947.

Back: Leah (Krause) Wiedmann; Jacob Krause.
Front: Ronald Wiedmann, Katherina (Dobler) Krause/Sayler

Image 6.

Katherina (Dobler) Krause with her 2nd husband, Andrew Sayler about 1935.

Front: Olga Sayler, Leah (Krause) Wiedmann, Ella Sayler.

Image 7.

1919. The Gottlieb Krause home 3 miles W and 4 miles S of Venturia. The house was built by Gottlieb Krause (1864-1922). After his death, his son, Gottlieb Krause, Jr. bought the farm from his mother.

On Porch: Martha Krause, Frieda (Bender) Krause, Anna (Krause) Dobler.
Front: Leah (Krause) Wiedmann

Image 7b.

2006. The Gottlieb Krause house as it looks now. Leah (Krause) Wiedmann is on the porch with the current owner.

Image 8.

The Gottlieb Krause, Jr. family in about 1935.

Back: Alvin, Hulda, Gideon, Marcella, Bill, Isadore.
Front: Lenhart, Gottlieb, Nadine, Bertha (Bender), Benjamin.

Image 9.

The Anna (Krause) Dobler family in 1935.

Back: Bill, Jr.
Middle: Anna and Bill Dobler, Sr.
Front: Shirley

Image 10.

Edwin Krause and Thelma (Roth) wedding in 1935.

 

 

Permission to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested by contacting Michael M. Miller
North Dakota State University Libraries
Germans from Russia Heritage Collection
Libraries
NDSU Dept #2080
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Tel: 701-231-8416
Fax: 701-231-6128
Last Updated:
Director: Michael M. Miller
North Dakota State University Library North Dakota State University North Dakota State University GRHC Home