[breadcrumb]

Odessa Catholic Church, north of Selz, Pierce County, North Dakota



This photo, which is thought to be a first Holy Communion picture at the Odessa Catholic Church, three miles east and half a mile north of Selz, was taken Aug. 8, 1915 by Balthazer Rieger of Esmond. The church was located just across the county line in Pierce County. It was dismantled in 1929 and portions of it were hauled to Esmond and Selz. The church cemetery across the road is in Sec. 19 of East Fork Township of Benson County. The cemetery contains many ornate iron crosses made by the Germans from Russia. The only person identified on the photo is Barbara Leboldus, fifth girl from the left in the top row of girls. She was born in 1905 and married August Axtman. They lived in Selz. (Photo courtesy of Esmond native Glen Gumeringer of Vancouver, Wash.)
 
Permission to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested by contacting Michael M. Miller
North Dakota State University Libraries
Germans from Russia Heritage Collection
Libraries
NDSU Dept #2080
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Tel: 701-231-8416
Fax: 701-231-6128
Last Updated:
Director: Michael M. Miller
North Dakota State University Library North Dakota State University North Dakota State University GRHC Home