Home History Culture German Russian History
Henry and Lydia Ohlhauser Came to the U.S. From Russia in the Early 1900's

"Henry and Lydia Ohlhauser Came to the U.S. From Russia in the Early 1900's." Emmons County Record, 15 August 2002, 8.


The Henry and Lydia Ohlhauser Family. From left, Alex, Albert, Lydia, Edwin, Henry, Walter and Hilda.

Henry Ohlhauser was born in 1897 in Russia, Odessa District town of Freuden, the second son of Adam and Elizabeth (also an Ohlhauser but no relation). He had four brothers, Martin, Jake, Adam and Carl, and one sister, Lizzie. One sister died in infancy (name unknown).

Henry's parents and siblings came to the United States in 1901, but Henry was not allowed to board the ship because he had an eye infection‹so at the last minute he had to be left behind. He was a street orphan for awhile; then he was taken in by the Gottlieb Schlittenhart family and came to the U.S. with them (as a Schlittenhart) in 1903.

When Henry reached North Dakota, his parents had homesteaded on a farm west of Hazelton. (that farm was later owned by Adam Jr. or Martin) then Ted and Florence Ohlhauser (then Neil Sautter and now Rolly Hogue Jr. of Fargo). But Henry's parents couldn't afford another mouth to feed so at the age of 7 he became a hired man to Ted Schnaible Sr. and later to George Huber Sr. where he lived and worked until 1924 then he married and moved to his own farm. (Ironically when Henry's parents (both Adam and Elizabeth) became old and couldn't care for themselves anymore-it was to Henry's home they moved and Henry who took care of them until their deaths.

Lydia Schuler was born in 1903 in Russia, Odessa District-town of Groffliebenthal, to Fredrick and Rosina (Meyer). She also came to the U.S. with her family as a young child. She had five brothers, Rudolph, Jake, Ed, Ted and Art, and one sister, Rose, who later became Mrs. Fred Heberle and then after Fred's death, Mrs. Louie Weber. Lintonite Irene Will is a daughter of Rose. The Schulers homesteaded on a farm by Mound City, S.D. Lydia lived with her parents at that farm until her marriage to Henry in 1924.

Henry and Lydia Ohlhauser are pictured at their wedding ceremony in 1924.

Lydia and Henry were married at a country church 8 miles north of Herreid, S.D., in 1924. They bought and moved to a farm 14 miles west of Temvik. (The former Fred Beep farm which is now a pasture 2 miles north of the Ike Lawler farm. There is still a windmill and a small tree bush there that is said to be where their garden was; and where their first born infant, Edwin, was buried when he died a few hours after birth.

In 1936, they bought and moved to the Ferman Busby Farm 12 miles west of Linton. This Busby Farm was originally built in 1917-18 as a tentative railroad delivery stable and hotel so the house and barn were very large and "grand" (elite and fancy) for their time. There was also a small town-Williamsburg-about 10 miles northwest of the Busby place (a few miles north of the Godfrey Grenz/JT Ranch). This small town had an elevator and the Emmons County Courthouse.

Plans were for the railroad to pass by the Busby place and on up past Williamsburg. But plans changed. The courthouse was moved to Linton and the railroad passage was also routed to go through Linton. Ferman Busby never regained his financial losses in this manner, and he went broke because of it.

Henry and Lydia Ohlhauser are pictured on their 25th Wedding Anniversary in 1949. Lydia passed away in 1967 and Henry passed away in 1969.

Besides the child that died in infancy, Henry and Lydia had five sons, Edwin, Albert, Walter and Alex, and one daughter, Hilda. Henry and Lydia farmed and ranched on the Busby farm until their retiring to Linton in 1950. There they built a home at 112 2nd St. SE (now owned by Magdalena Bender). Lydia died in 1967 after a 17 year battle with cancer. Henry remarried Freda Hoffman of Leola, S.D., in 1968. Henry died of diabetic and heart complications in 1969.

Edwin was born in 1929 at the Linton Hospital (old corner stone building on Hickory Ave.). Edwin attended country school until 5th grade at which time he was taken out of school/kept at home because he was needed to "work on the family farm." Edwin also didn't/couldn't pursue his dream of joining the Army because his father believed he was "needed on the farm more." Edwin married Luella Weber, daughter of Willliam (Bill) and Martha Weber of rural Linton, in 1950. They lived with and worked for Chris Job for about six months; then they bought and moved to the home farm (Busby farm), where they farmed, ranched and lived until moving to Linton in 1963. Luella died in 1987 after a two-year battle with cancer. Edwin continued to farm and ranch until his retirement in 1995. Edwin still owns and rents out the home land.

Edwin and Luella had four children, three sons-in-law and two step-grandchildren. They are Sandi Lawler and Nick Lawler and their four children: Bridget of Fargo, Melanie (Mrs. Lance) Jangula of Linton, Michelle, a college student at Fargo, and Thomas, still at home at Linton; Tammy (Mrs. Rick) Schuette of Fargo and stepdaughters, Amanda and Ashley Schuette, still at home in Fargo; Paula (Mrs. Les) Balliet of Fargo, and their daughter, Sonia (Mrs. Ben) Heidenreich of Seaside, CA; and Jeff Ohlhauser of Fargo. Albert was born in 1931 at the farm home. Albert graduated from Linton High School in 1948. During his high school years he "boarded" at the Dave Job home. He was active in football for awhile until he injured his back and had to quit.

While in high school Albert worked for the Lloyd Roberts Bakery and the Tillie and Tony (Scoop) Calhoun Cafe. After graduating Albert joined the Army in Nov. 1948, for 3 1/2 years serving in the Korean War during that time.

Walter was born in 1932 at the farm home. Walter attended country school to grade 7 or 8. He then worked for various farmers and contractors until joining the army in 1952 for 3 years, serving in the Korean War during that time.

Walter married Violet Haid, daughter of John and Pauline Haid, in Linton in 1956. They lived in various homes in Linton before purchasing the former George Naumann and James Mona-han home in Temvik (that home was also considered very "grand" for its day and is now owned by Scott and Margaret Schaar) where they lived for 15 years until moving into Linton, where Violet still lives today.

Over the years, Walter was part-owner and operator of J&W Gas Station (with brother-in-law John Ackerman) for a short time, worked many years for Linton Gambles Store (owned by a Mrs. Yengling), did part-time farming and worked for Hazelton Farmers Union for 20 years. Water died in 1992 after suffering many years with rheumatoid arthritis and heart problems. Walter and Violet have six children; two daughters-in-law; five sons-in-law, 18 grandchildren and at this time 2 great grandchildren.

They are Rod and Bonnie (Schiermeister) Ohlhauser and son, Mason, of Bismarck; Holly (Mrs. Mark) Johnson and their children: Kara (Mrs. Andy) Speidel (Maple Grove, MN), Travis and Shannon (Linstad) and daughter Hadley of Thompson, Lacey and Morgan, of Lisbon; Paulette (Mrs. Craig) DeVos, and their children Casey and Amiee, of Bismarck; Pam (Mrs. David) Adrian of Binford and her daughters (from a previous marriage to Al Bjornson of Mandan): Emily Bjornson of Mandan and Amanda (Mrs. Michael) Gill and thier child Caroline of Moorhead; Byan and Laura (Miller) Ohlhauser and their children: Amber, Justin, Adam and Jessica, all of Lakota; and Heidi (Mrs. Elwin) Nieuwsma of Linton and their children: Matthew, Tyler, Nicole, Katie and Noah.

Alex was born in 1934 at the farm home. Alex graduated from Linton High School in 1951. During his high school years he "boarded" at the Henry Knittel home.

After graduating, Alex immediately joined the army for 4 years spending 18 months of that time serving in the Korean War. Alex married Jean Lammert, daughter of William and Alma Lammert of Hazelton, in 1956. They lived in Linton, where Alex worked for the National Guard (In 1961 he served 10 mos. active duty in the U.S. during the Cuban Crisis) until 1963. At that time, they bought and moved to the Herman Meier farm (west of Linton by the Missouri River). Their farm home was destroyed by fire in 1985, and they moved to their present home in Linton.

Alex continued farming and ranching until 1988. He is now the service officer for the North Dakota Veterans Association (a position he has held since 1985). Alex and Jean have four children, three daughters-in-law and eleven grandchildren.

They are Monte and Judane (Schmaltz) Ohlhauser and their children: Heather, Brandon and Tiffany, all of Bismarck; Wanda Ohlhauser and her children: Jared, Jessica and Joshlon, all of Mandan; Marlin and Sheila (Dosch) Ohlhauser and their children: Waylon, Brent and Austin, all of Linton; and Henry and Tori (Volk) Ohlhauser and their children, Emily and Issac, all of Bismarck.

Pictured is the house on the Ferman Busby farm, located about 12 miles west
of Linton. The farm, built in 1917, was purchased by Henry Ohlhauser in
1936, and his son, Edwin, later purchased the farm and lived there from 1950 to 1963. The house was originally supposed to serve as a hotel, but the
railroad changed its route, and the plans for the hotel did not materialize.
The house is still standing, but it has been unoccupied for almost 40 years.

Hilda was born in 1935 at the Linton Hospital (old cornerstone building on Hickory Ave.). Hilda attended country school to grade 8. She then worked at Les Renschler's Linton Cafe 3 years, Linton Red Owl Store 1 year and lived in Billings, Mont., for 1 year.

Hilda then moved back to North Dakota and married Darrel Weber (son of Ed and Hazel Weber of Minot) in 1955. They lived in Minot and Burlington, where Hilda worked as a house cleaner and then later in the Food Service for the Air Force, a job she continued in various cities until her retirement in 1995.

In 1969, Hilda married James Stokes at the Minot Air Force Base. They lived at the Air Force Base then Denver, Colo., Tucson, Ariz., Spain and finally, San Antonio, Texas, where they still reside today.

Mrs. Hilda Stokes and Darrel Weber had six children, including daughter Pamela Weber, who died in infancy, three sons-in-law, ten grandchildren, two great-grandchildren.

They are Terry Weber of Alamogordo, N.M.; Eddie Weber of Alamogordo, N.M., and his children, Tia and Thomas of Parshall and Tory of Minot; Cindy (Mrs. David) Fahlsing of Alamogordo, N.M. and their children: Tina (Mrs. Alfonso) Rivera and son, David, of Tucson, Ariz.; Lisa (Mrs. Jay) Neil of Colorado Springs, Colo., and Tania Fahlsing of El Paso, Texas; Candace (Mrs. Jack) Sneider of Corpus Christi, TX, and their sons, Jack, Jr. and Javon Sneider and daughter, Madison, of San Antonio, and Timothy Sneider of Corpus Christi, TX., and Kim (Mrs. Oscar) Macias and their daughter, Victoria, all of San Antonio, Tex.

Hilda and James Stokes had one son, James Stokes, Jr., who resides in San Antonio, Texas.

Reprinted with permission of the Emmons County Record.

Permission to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested by contacting Michael M. Miller
North Dakota State University Libraries
Germans from Russia Heritage Collection
Libraries
NDSU Dept #2080
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Tel: 701-231-8416
Fax: 701-231-6128
Last Updated:
Director: Michael M. Miller
North Dakota State University Library North Dakota State University North Dakota State University GRHC Home